For this special cake I wanted elderberries through and through. Elderberry syrup in the batter, elderberry-blueberry preserves for the jelly filling and elderflower syrup in frosting. The citrus zest added an extra-bright zing. We used orange but lemon would have been great as well! Here’s the recipe:
For the cake:
Blend in a stand mixer:
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter (or plant-based butter)
- 2 tablespoons elderberry syrup (we love Carmel Berry Co!)
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites (do these last and lightly beat them — just enough to fully mix them into the batter)
Split the batter in half and bake in two 9-inch greased baking pans for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. If you’re not sure if it’s done, stick in a toothpick — it should come out clean.
For the jelly filling:
- ½ cup frosting
- 3 tablespoons elderberry blueberry preserves
Once your cakes have cooled, spread jelly evenly across one of them and then gently place the other cake on top.
For the frosting:
- ¾ cup frosting
- 1 tablespoon elderflower syrup
Spread evenly on your cooled, stacked cake. Grate on orange or lemon zest, top with fresh berries and enjoy!